Wisconsin Welcomes You

Wisconsin Welcomes You

Kohl's Care--Giese Elementary School, Racine, Wisconsin

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Search Here

Custom Search

Saturday, April 12, 2008

A Brief History of Wisconsin





I had planned on actually giving information about the origin and meaning of the name Wisconsin, but there seems to be conflicting information about that subject. The link below goes more in depth about that.

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/

Some other information though:

There are more than 10,000 books with history about Wisconsin--Wow!!! That is a lot of books and I confess I had no idea there were that many books with history about my birth state.

This state was "born" after the last ice age about 13,000 years ago. People have always lived on the land here. Some were the Menominee and the Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) and still preserve ancient narratives that place both groups of people here before the written history. There have also been finds from several other peoples around the state.

Wisconsin became the 30th state on May 29, 1848.

The Wisconsin Historical Society is a fantastic place to learn more about the history of the 30th state in the union. Once there you can find out where the museums, special events around the state, etc. are.

There is a tab for teachers and students, genealogy, photos, shopping, government buildings, and so many other tabs that I am not going to list them all.

I wish I had a computer when I was doing all my school projects in high school lol. This truly is a very informative site.

No comments:

Search Here

Custom Search

Another Wisconsin State Map

Another Wisconsin State Map
This one shows the counties.

How Many Have Visited Starting 13 April 2008